Valencian Paella Recipe
by Chef Jane Ireland
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- Generous pinch of saffron
- 1 pound of boneless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces of chorizo sausage
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green beans trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 can artichokes drained and halved
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ripe tomatoes grated on a box grater, skins discarded.
- 2 cups of short grain rice
Valencian Paella cooking procedure:
- Rub chicken generously with salt and pepper, the oregano and 1 teaspoon of paprika. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat chicken stock to a simmer add saffron and keep warm until needed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in 15 or 16 inch Paella pan over single burner.
- Add seasoned chicken and sauté until browned then push to the cooler edge of the pan.
- Add chorizo sausage and brown it then also push to edge of the pan.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil and sauté beans and red peppers until they
- begin to brown and soften Add the artichokes and sauté another few minutes.
- Add remaining one tablespoon of olive oil and the garlic to the pan and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the remaining 1-teaspoon of paprika and the tomatoes. Stir and cook until sauce thickens and reduces.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with pan mixture. Pour in 4 cups of simmering stock.
- Set the pan over two burners and shake it to evenly distribute the rice.
- Cook over medium heat until the cooking liquid is almost level with the rice but the rice is still soupy. Periodically rotate the pan so the liquid boils evenly.
- If the liquid is absorbed too fast and the rice seems a bit raw then sprinkle on some more stock.
- Transfer paella pan to the oven and bake until rice is tender but still al dente about 15 minutes.
- Check a few times and sprinkle more stock over if the rice seems too dry.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil and let sit for ten minutes.
If you want to add seafood to make a mixed Paella add cleaned clams mussels, shrimp, or chopped fish and put into oven stage.